Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Reactions to McCormick


Blog 1: REACTIONS to McCormick: What do you like? What's don't you like? What seems problematic?
McCormick’s theory might be interpreted as one of balance between expressive, social and cognitive theories, while one reading becomes “better than another because of its consequences, be they social, political or historical” (p. 90).  The idea is that there is an interface of matching repertoires (the reader’s and the text’s), which are also influenced by literary and general ideologies.  All maintain dialectical relationships with one another, and can intersect as matching repertoires, mismatching repertoires, or tensions. 
I’m not sure what seems problematic, as I’m not yet clear exactly how this all plays out in practice, but I like that it incorporates many previously conflicting theories into one. I agree with Jennifer who states, “I believe we should consider all three theories as pieces that work together to build a stronger, more inclusive pedagogy for teaching reading and writing.”  I look forward to further exploring how this all might play out in the composition classroom.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I was not really sure how her theory plays out in practice. The first two chapters felt more like a history of theoretical approaches that fit into one of these three models which could be a possibility. But, I would be interested to see what her suggestions are for implementing them into a course model.

    ReplyDelete